Who’s excited on this year’s Wiltshire Game & Country Fair? You, your kids or your friend’s kids, or neighbors, all of us right? The Wiltshire Game & Country Fair 2016 is a 2-day event and will be held in Bowood Estate, Calne on this coming Saturday and Sunday 24th-25th September. The fair will be open at around 10 in the morning and ends at 6pm.
You will get to enjoy arena displays, Fun Dog Shows, Falconry, lots of fun and entertainment for the kids and family, a festival of food, chainsaw carving, crafts and arts and many more.
Saturday & Sunday 24th-25th September
Bowood Estate, Calne, Wiltshire SN11 0LZ
Tickets on the day: Adults £13, Over 65s £12, Children (15 and under) £4 (Under 5s free)
Show open 10am-6pm
Scurry Trials and Driving finals
Scurry Bandits – gun dog scurry finals
Three dedicated arenas with a whole variety of exciting and informative displays, from exhilarating horseboarding, to the hilariously disobedient sheep that our sheepdogs somehow have to get back into the pen. Something for everyone all day long, so bring a deck chair and make yourselves comfortable.
Andy Singleton Arena
- Horse-boarding – the final heats of the 2016 UK season. Thrills and spills as this dramatic season comes to it’s finale
- Parade of Hounds – The Avon Vale Hunt
- Scurry Trials and Driving – the final heats of 2016, scurry driving, final qualifying day on Saturday and finals on Sunday
- Man Vs Beast – scurry and pony Vs the mighty Isuzu. Who will you cheer for?
- Falconry – watch our amazing birds of prey in action
- Chase the Bunny – a fun competition for all dogs who like to chase (*not a real bunny!)
- The Pony Club – hot competition between these young riders with six teams competing against the clock in a series of mounted games
- Working ferrets – Simon Pakefield shows you how he uses ferrets in the wild
- Harvey’s Shires – magnificent working giants with their carriages
- Sheepdog display – Stuart Barnes will give you a crash course on dog psychology as well as demonstrating their skills with those unco-operating sheep
- Falconry and Gun Dog Displays – a working partnership with handlers Chris Neal (birds) and Paul Makepeace (dogs)
- Junior Casting Competition – with Peter Johnston
- Pinxton Puppets – Will Red Riding Hood escape the big bad wolf again?
World of Dogs
A specialist full time arena dedicated solely to dogs, with displays of all types, from working gun dogs and sheep dogs, to fire jumping obedience. Surrounding this are a variety of activities your dog will love, from gun dog multi scurries to a fun dog show. Something for every dog and every dog lover! (please be aware however that with the shooting and dummy launching there are some loud bangs all day, so if they are nervous it might be kinder to leave them in the kitchen with a big bone!)
- Arena displays: Paws for Thought Dog Display Team, Gun dog training and Walk Up Shoot (Paul Makepeace), Hounds, minor breed parade, Chase the Bunny, Stuart Barnes Sheepdogs
- Fun Dog Show (Gillies Leap) – all welcome: classes for any size age, breed or non breed. Including the overall winners’ class of 2016
- Lurchers (Lure Crazy) – racing, coursing and showing with the overall 2016 championship class on Sunday
- Terriers (CountyWise) – racing and showing with the overall 2016 championship class on Sunday
- Gun Dog Multi Scurries (Scurry Bandits) – if your dog loves to retrieve, come and have a go against the clock!
- Gun dog training clinic, run by Anthea Shelley
- Gun Dog Working Tests – West Country Gun Dog Tests
- Minor Breeds: Sealyham terriers, Cesky Terriers, Chesapeake Retrievers, Otterhounds, Australian terriers, Coonhounds
- Hounds – Palmer Marlborough Beagles
Come and watch our magnificent birds of prey in action – and meet them in our dedicated falconry area.
- Chris Neal
- Ray Pickup
- Tony Puddle
- Dave Hughes
Lots of fun and entertainment for children and families dotted all around the showground. At Wiltshire Country Show some of the highlights are;
- Racing ferrets – have a flutter on your favourite
- Fiery Jack’s Old Fashioned Games Emporium – have a break, play a game. You will be amazed how long you end up staying and no technology involved!
- The Strange Thing – be entertained by our on site magician and come and see The Strange Thing. Can you work out what it really is?
- Moment in Time Living History – history re-enactors taking you back in time
- Falconry Village – meet our birds of prey and see them in action
- Kenneshaw Confederates – history re-enactors taking you back in time
- Hamsters – Cute and furry, come and meet the hamsters and their expert handlers
- Children’s entertainments – all the fun of the fair, donkey rides, panning for gold and more
- Pinxton Puppets – Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs (two shows)
- BASC Association: wildfowlers and taste of game
- Wiltshire Police
A mini festival within the main show, featuring food halls, the Piazza, and chefs on stage. The food halls will feature a line up of local and regional speciality food and drink producers, with particular focus on British food provenance. The Piazza is that special area where you can come to eat and relax in the main catering marquee and real ale marquee or the smaller food specialist vendors. Be entertained by our chefs on stage presenting a wide range of recipes and culinary skills.
- Crabstock boys – tales of the sea and how to make the most of her produce
- Mark Lees – Crayfish cooking
- Pamela Chenmoore – tasty oriental recipes to try at home
We generally have six to eight chainsaw carvers on site to entertain you. Over the weekend they will carve a main piece, and also take part in thirty minute speed carves. It’s amazing to see what can be achieved in just half an hour, and all these pieces are immediately sold off at auction, so you could go home with a very special feature for your garden or conservatory.
- Quint Hughes
- Ant Beatlestone
- John Roberts
- Mark Earp
- Chris Bain
- Denius Parsons
- Chris Bain
- Matt Crabb
- Ian Andrews
Fishing and Field Sports
Interested in fishing or field sports, but never quite got round to it? Take part in free 20minute fishing sample sessions with our instructors from the Angling Trust and Salmon and Trout Association; or have a go at archery or air rifles
- Archery – field archery with Adrian Caddy
- Clay shooting – Clay Targets – sporting layouts, pool shoot and one to one instructional stands for beginners
- Double Deuz – .22 rifles
- Air Rifles – ATEO
- Salmon & Trout Conservation U.K.
- Angling Trust – free twenty minute one to one lessons
- Rod Maker – Peter Johnson
- Fly Tying Competition
- Fly Casting Competition
A series of marquees form the Craft Village, a popular area of the show where artists, deigners and craftsmen exhibit, demonstrate and sell a wide variety of handcrafted items and gifts. Always plenty of working demonstrations, and at Burghley Country Show we have:
The Shopping Experience
Around the arenas are rows of individual trade exhibitors selling a range of items, country clothing and accessories, footwear, garden, home and leisure products, country sports equipment and accessories. Always nice to go home from a show with something, and you will be spoilt for choice